Cures Start Here. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Fred Hutch), home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, Fred Hutch’s five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. The Fred Hutch, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children’s, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Careers Start Here.
The Avgousti lab is recruiting a research technician to work in the field of molecular virology. The focus of the lab is to use a multidisciplinary approach to investigate the mechanisms by which viruses hijack chromatin during infection. Research technicians will be responsible for performing standard and investigative laboratory work in support of scientific research by performing bench-level experiments, operating analytical instruments, recovering, compiling and verifying the accuracy of research data; performing calculations; preparing charts, graphs and summaries.
1. Perform experiments at the bench level to support investigative work.
2. Prepare and maintain laboratory reagents, stocks, cultures or cell lines.
3. Perform and modify documented protocols and assays.
4. Maintain laboratory records and compile data on experiments and assays.
5. Interpret and report on experimental results.
6. Perform statistical analysis of test results and prepare written reports on work performed.
7. Operate and carry out basic maintenance of laboratory equipment.
8. Order and maintain appropriate levels of supplies.
9. May supervise work-study students.
10. Perform other duties as required.
Tech I: BA/BS in a scientific field required. Must have scientific knowledge in the area of study and basic laboratory skills. Independent research experience in addition to school lab experience is required. Tech II: Intermediate level position requiring 2 years previous experience working in a laboratory and BA/BS.