The Operations Analyst will be an integral part of the Shared Resources (“SR”) administrative team and will provide operational support, management reporting and analysis for the business and core operations of SR. The operations analyst researches, compiles and analyzes operations information related to each of the core resources, as well as Shared Resources as a whole. Functional areas include: cost and operational analysis, pricing analysis, business analytics, billing & collections, procurement support and strong partnership with Fred Hutch Finance team for budgeting & forecasting deliverables.
Cures Start Here. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center's four scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference. Careers Start Here.
May perform some or all of the following responsibilities:
1. Supervise the billing team and oversee the full implementation of standardized chargeback systems including billing, collections, reporting, and monitoring for Center and Divisional shared resources. Manage SR Billing & Collection staff to achieve Center Billing & Collection service level standards, overseeing hiring, training, performance evaluations, disciplinary action, and layoff/termination issues.
2. Compile a variety of billing and statistical information and reports, including operations dashboard metrics, productivity metrics, billing lag and turn-around time, CCSG utilization reporting.
3. Prepares operational models/analyses to support current and proposed business transactions, service offerings, and performance improvement initiatives. Works in close collaborative partnership with the Fred Hutch Finance team.
4. Partners with Fred Hutch Finance team in the delivery of monthly performance reporting packages to Core Directors and SR leadership; including: revenue + OPEX dashboards & reporting; detailed expense analysis; budgeting & forecasting; year-end sponsored funding reconciliations; etc.
5. Prepare utilization analysis and trending; provide monthly analysis of variances and make recommendations.
6. Assist in the development and implementation of the division's annual operating and capital budgets. Will partner with Fred Hutch Divisions to improve service projection capabilities.
7. Determine cost of operational activities within each shared resource operating unit, develop cost profiles for each service and recommend pricing rates with comparison to benchmark rates. All billing rates are reviewed annually with Fred Hutch Finance, respective Core Director and SR leadership.
8. Partner with Core Directors and SR administrative team for external benchmarking.
9. Creates routine and ad hoc reports and presentations to provide recommendations about operational performance to SR leadership, core directors and other customers as necessary.
10. Submission of journal vouchers and cost transfer requests to accounting, when required.
11. Serve as the primary liaison to Fred Hutch Finance and related departments in support of the financial strategic direction of Shared Resources.
12. Work with sponsored programs and other institutional regulatory offices to support compliance with NIH and other external sponsor guidelines for the application and management of awards
13. Advance the use of technology for decision making processes as well as dynamic tracking of operational performance. Work with IT teams to support development and visualization of operations metrics in a dynamic dashboard.
14. Monthly labor cost distribution reporting and effort certification; including demand/capacity modeling with labor titration analysis (“step” costing principles).
15. Daily support to core directors, as needed, related to the coordination of purchasing activities, ensure proper GL coding and purchasing; oversight of the reconciliation of proCards and accounts payable invoice approval.
16. Coordinate capital equipment purchases and depreciation with purchasing; manage Equipment maintenance service agreements procurement and tracking.
17. Monitor business processes to ensure effective and efficient operations. Facilitate & support audits (internal & external).
18. Responsible for survey support; completion of projects and portions of business plans, including research, data collection and analysis. Partner with SR administrative team to summarize recommendations and conclusions. Participate in projects/initiatives to reduce operating costs and meet revenue goals.
19. Perform other responsibilities as required.
Requires BA/BS. CPA, CMA preferred. Minimum of 5+ years cost analysis and operations reporting experience. Demonstrated experience managing a team and establishing cooperative working relationships. Highly organized, process driven, with attention to detail. Possess problem-solving and decision-making skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Must possess strong time management and prioritization skills. Advanced excel skills a must. Experience with PeopleSoft preferred.