POSITION: HR Business Partner (Supporting Fred Hutch)
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (“Fred Hutch” or “the Center”) is one of the premier cancer research centers in the world and home to three Nobel laureates. Fred Hutch is an independent, nonprofit research institution, located on a magnificent campus in the South Lake Union area of Seattle. With the mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases as causes of human suffering and death, the Center conducts research of the highest standards to improve prevention and treatment of cancer and related diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation, the Fred Hutch’s five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science.
In order to fulfill its mission, Fred Hutch is dedicated to:
• Generating new scientific discoveries and translating them into effective medical practices, therapies and public health approaches;
• Recruiting, supporting and training highly qualified scientists and physicians in an environment that promotes collaboration and excellence;
• Cooperating with other research entities and medical institutions to assure worldwide access to new research findings and technical developments;
• Providing sensitive, efficient and effective care for patients participating in our experimental therapies and other studies; and
• Promoting the importance of scientific research, responsible medical care, healthy environments and personal behaviors through public education and advocacy.
The scientific palette of Fred Hutch is extensive; it has over 270 research scientists and 2,800 employees. Areas of research focus include hematologic malignancies, solid tumor biology, immunotherapy, early detection, tumor research, international research, fundamental science, cancer and prevention research as well as substantial programs in global oncology and HIV/AIDS. Additionally, given that the eradication of cancer and other life-threatening diseases is an ambitious goal that demands tenacity, scientific excellence, collaboration and breakthrough creativity, Fred Hutch has five scientific divisions working toward this end: Basic Sciences, Clinical Research, Human Biology, Public Health Sciences, and Vaccine and Infectious Disease. The Center has recently established crosscutting integrated research centers organized to promote team science involving members from two or more of the scientific divisions.
The HR Business Partner is a strategic new role that will work closely with leaders and employees at all levels, to provide information, guidance and consultation, and to facilitate the delivery of HR services that support an outstanding employee experience.
As a member of the HR team, you will work closely with leaders and employees at all levels, to facilitate HR services, define priorities and solve problems. Partnering with other HR teams – including Compensation & Benefits, Payroll, HRIS, Immigration, Employee Relations/Legal, and Employee Services – you will be the principal point of HR contact for your assigned customer divisions/groups. As part of the overall Business Partner team in HR, you also may provide back-up support to other groups when needed and may participate in development and change projects.
We are looking for a self-motivated, driven individual who is comfortable working in a complex, matrixed, fast-paced environment. Knowledge of and experience working with HR functions is essential. Experience in an academic research environment is preferred.
Critical to success is the ability to provide an organized and effective process needed to achieve results, while balancing the needs of multiple customers. The HR Business Partner must be able to effectively communicate and collaborate with a dynamic and diverse workforce at all levels.
• Aligns HR approaches with organizational strategy for assigned customer group(s); defines and manages HR portfolio of work to support organizational goals and priorities.
• Builds a strong and trusted relationship with internal client(s).
• Acts as both a member of the HR Business Partner team and a trusted advisor to Fred Hutch leaders and managers.
• Guides and supports leaders and managers to bring the best experience and solutions to employees.
• Facilitates and collaborates with all HR functions to ensure delivery of a comprehensive set of services that meet organizational needs.
• Advises management on change implications and people impacts of organizational programs and initiatives.
• Actively identifies gaps; proposes and implements changes necessary to cover risks.
• Supports organizational planning and financial management with respect to people/talent.
• Manages HR projects and issues cross-functionally.
• Other projects and duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree or 4+ years equivalent experience
• Proven extensive knowledge of HR processes.
• Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible management experience, and at least 3 years experience related to Human Resources programs and processes.
• Demonstrated experience in multiple disciplines of Human Resources and knowledge of relevant labor and employment law.
• Proficient in current Human Resources strategies and processes, including technology and analytics
• Demonstrated expertise in analytical thinking and problem solving
• Proven ability to work independently and balance multiple priorities
• Proven ability and willingness to advise and influence without authority
• Ability to work non-standard hours, based on internal customer schedules
• Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field
• Master’s degree in related field preferred.
• 5+ years experience related to HR programs and processes
• Experience in an academic or research environment preferred, with understanding of sponsored research requirements and impacts on staffing.
• PeopleSoft and Tableau experience
• Ability and enthusiasm to develop innovative solutions to complex problems
• Strong collaboration, multi-tasking and organization skills
• Outstanding interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
• Experience in an academic research environment